SoulMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoulMS

SoulMS Forums

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

On Religion and Beliefs

Go down 
+15
GunEcstasy
MrShadow
oliviadesana
Fuher
Kyozoku
Barnacle
Fawlcon
kllovekoreasaa
Blitz
Inebriated
MrStas
Nicksterr
Hugo
Dank
Legion
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GunEcstasy
Noob
Noob

On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 am

That's fine if you want to believe the meaning of life is to learn.

But what doesn't make sense to me is, how do we know we are doing the right thing? Are we supposed to guess? If we are just guessing and assuming, whats the point of the test anyway? Science is the only way to tell right from wrong. If god said it is okay to rape two year old girls, would we do it? No, because it's our opinion that that's wrong... science tells us it is. So why don't we just get rid of the middleman and get rid of god.

Are conflicts such a bad thing anyway? The bible is full of murder, sacrifice... killing people for little reason. All kinds of crazy things. And it's because back then, 2000-3000 years ago, society was a lot different than it is now. It is no coincidence that the society reflected in the bible matched the society that existed at the time. The bible is a collection of books, which have been translated and edited so many times that they have completely lost their original meaning. There's so much evidence against the bible that it just cannot be taken seriously, in any form.

And again, if you look to the bible for moral lessons, I'd suggest a few others such as The Three Little Pigs, Red Riding Hood, and Humpty Dumpty.
Back to top Go down
Ravage
Level 2
Level 2

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 am

GunEcstasy wrote:
That's fine if you want to believe the meaning of life is to learn.

But what doesn't make sense to me is, how do we know we are doing the right thing? Are we supposed to guess? If we are just guessing and assuming, whats the point of the test anyway? Science is the only way to tell right from wrong. If god said it is okay to rape two year old girls, would we do it? No, because it's our opinion that that's wrong... science tells us it is. So why don't we just get rid of the middleman and get rid of god.

Are conflicts such a bad thing anyway? The bible is full of murder, sacrifice... killing people for little reason. All kinds of crazy things. And it's because back then, 2000-3000 years ago, society was a lot different than it is now. It is no coincidence that the society reflected in the bible matched the society that existed at the time. The bible is a collection of books, which have been translated and edited so many times that they have completely lost their original meaning. There's so much evidence against the bible that it just cannot be taken seriously, in any form.

And again, if you look to the bible for moral lessons, I'd suggest a few others such as The Three Little Pigs, Red Riding Hood, and Humpty Dumpty.
What do you think the bibles for? Every situation we get into has already happened in the bible and God gave us the bible to use as a guide, not just as a story book.

Brother, I tell you now that the bible is a very cool thing, it has murder and sacrifice but that happens today too. Im not trying to convert anybody because I believe that there is no religion because every "religion" basically derives from one god and one book. The bible shows us that evil will always exist, but hope preserveres.
Back to top Go down
GunEcstasy
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

I will try to keep this as short as possible. The best armor against logic is ignorance, so typing a whole essay would be pointless when it's going in one ear and out the other.

1) While it may be good if our population was lowered from mass killings over petty crimes (they didn't have jails back then, if you committed a crime, you were killed), I'm sure most wouldn't agree. The bible teaches us that all women should be virgins until marriage, you cannot touch pig skin, women should not teach or hold authority over men, all kinds of ridiculous shit that does not fit into modern society.

2) Sacrifice happens because of religious nuts. You don't see atheists sacrificing their firstborn children, and even religious nuts don't do that anymore because even they have realized it's wrong.

3) I can't conclude that all religions originated from the hebrew bible, but if so, that's one hell of a mutating virus. It is an evil that we must hope there is a cure for.

4) It is silly for you to use the term evil. Instead, we call that a psychological disorder. It is a mental illness, not some metaphysical force that causes people to act irrationally. For some of these people, there is no hope.
Back to top Go down
Ravage
Level 2
Level 2

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 am

GunEcstasy wrote:
I will try to keep this as short as possible. The best armor against logic is ignorance, so typing a whole essay would be pointless when it's going in one ear and out the other.

1) While it may be good if our population was lowered from mass killings over petty crimes (they didn't have jails back then, if you committed a crime, you were killed), I'm sure most wouldn't agree. The bible teaches us that all women should be virgins until marriage, you cannot touch pig skin, women should not teach or hold authority over men, all kinds of ridiculous shit that does not fit into modern society.

2) Sacrifice happens because of religious nuts. You don't see atheists sacrificing their firstborn children, and even religious nuts don't do that anymore because even they have realized it's wrong.

3) I can't conclude that all religions originated from the hebrew bible, but if so, that's one hell of a mutating virus. It is an evil that we must hope there is a cure for.

4) It is silly for you to use the term evil. Instead, we call that a psychological disorder. It is a mental illness, not some metaphysical force that causes people to act irrationally. For some of these people, there is no hope.
Your opinions are too one sided. Read the bible, its the top selling book for a reason. Although God asked for the oldest son in a family, it was because he wanted that son im his kingdom, not earth and at he was testing his people. Yes it sounds cruel. The bible also teaches us that our God is a forgiving God. And he knows sin is bound to happen, but he forgives as long as you repent.

again, im not evangalizing or trying to argue. I believe in the freedom of choice.
Back to top Go down
Mela
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I believe I am God because If I wern't I wouldn't be able to juggle seeing as I have no arms... wait... how am i typing... OH MY GOD I AM GOD! FUCK YES! GONNA GO FIGHT CRIME! wait... i need arms... OH MY GOD GUYS I JUST GOT ARMS! EVERYONE. MY HOUSE. RIGHT NOW. WE ARE SO HAVING A 'THIS GUY IS GOD' PARTY. FREE BOOZE MEET AT.... FUCK IT LETS GO TO HEAVEN! -everyone suffocates in heaven because for some reason its in outerspace....-
WHERE THE FUCK DID EVERYONE GO! QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Troll Complete.
Back to top Go down
GunEcstasy
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 pm

When you get into neuroscience, down into the cellular level, you start to realize that there is no such thing as freedom of choice. Everything is completely predetermined, save for some things like the decay of radioactive particles which may or may not be completely random.

What is free will anyway? You could either be a gear in a big deterministic system, or your decisions could be slightly random. Which one is better? Either way, there's not much room left for the strictest definition of "free will".

In other words, "god" already knows everything you're gonna do, in advance. There is no reason to test. The universe is nothing more than the playing out of physical laws. The notion that there is a metaphysical force controlling either our decisions or the physical laws is ludacris. Given any certain frame of reference of the universe, you can predict everything that happened before, and everything that will happen after.

If there is a god, he serves little purpose other than to essentially be "sitting on a couch watching us, like a TV show", and has absolutely no affect on anything physical.

Furthermore, as for those who claim "agnosticism", that is not a declaration of your beliefs. That is simply the concept of not knowing. As for your beliefs, there is only theism and atheism. A gnostic theist (most common variety) says "I know there is a god, so I believe it". An agnostic atheist says "I don't know if there is a god, but I don't believe it".

Essentially, whether or not you know, has nothing to do with whether or not you believe.
Back to top Go down
GunEcstasy
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I believe those who are claiming "agnosticism" are really agnostic theists. They are mostly saying "I don't know if there is a god, and I don't believe in religion, but I will quietly believe in god, just in case".

It's my subjective opinion that you can't be on the fence, exactly 50/50. Either you mostly believe, or mostly doubt the existence of god. Anyone who is exactly 50/50 would have to have some fears of what might happen if they don't believe in god. So they are just another theist, but with very high doubts regarding their belief.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Religion and Beliefs   On Religion and Beliefs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

On Religion and Beliefs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SoulMS :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: